So, rather to my surprise, I got nominated for the Liebster Award today. Thank you very much to Andry Bach for the nomination and I hope I can make a good effort at it.
For those who aren’t familiar with it (which included me up until recently), the Liebster Award is solely an internet-based award. Nominations are given by bloggers to other bloggers who then pass on their own nominations and so on. There are some variations in the rules and instructions but since Andry nominated me, I’ll use the same ones she used.
- List 11 facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions provided by the person who nominated you.
- Nominate 11 people and provide them with your own set of 11 questions.
Ok, so here goes.
11 Facts about me
- I’m Scottish. Not really a surprise but it’s something that tends to define me these days.
- I swear a lot. This may or may not be connected with the above.
- I’ve been living in the US for nearly 8 years and I still get people telling me they like my accent.
- I get nearly as many people not understanding me. Probably more actually.
- I’ve been married to my wife Britt to for approximately 1 week less than I’ve been in the States.
- I started writing (as in, not for school but because I wanted to) at least in part as a reaction to my fathers death when I was 17.
- I just recently got my first tattoo.
- I can have almost scary recall of film dialogue and trivia, often to my wife’s amazement/frustration.
- I’m a big comic book person.
- Less than half a dozen people have read my first book.
- I’ve stopped and started versions of this blog on three separate occasions.
1.What are your favorite books? And Why?
In no particular order:
- Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett
- The Sandman by Neil Gaiman
- Anno Dracula by Kim Newman
- Lord of the Rings
Guards! Guards! because it’s the first in the Discworld Watch books and I identify with Sam Vimes for some reason.
The Sandman because it helped teach me what you can do with stories, what they can be.
Anno Dracula for the references to all the other books it contains.
And Lordof the Rings because it’s Lord of the Rings.
2. If you could marry a fictional character, who would it be and why?
First answer that came to mind was Cordelia Naismith/Vorkosigan. She’s strong, smart, fierce and wise; all qualities I admire.
3. Given the choice of anyone in the world, whom would you want as a dinner guest?
Neil Gaiman, I think. I have the impression there could be some fascinating conversations there.
4. If you were able to live to the age of 90 and retain either the mind or body of a 30-year old for the last 60 years of your life, which would you choose?
Mind. I like to think my mind is one of my best features and I’d rather not lose it.
5. If you could wake up tomorrow having gained one quality or ability, what would it be?
Probably to duplicate myself, one to go to my day job and one to stay home and write.
6. If a crystal ball could tell you the truth about yourself, your life, the future or anything else, what would you want to know?
Am I a good man?
7. Are you a person with humor sense?
I’d like to think so. Weird and twisted by its there.
8. What do you value most in a friendship?
Loyalty and supportiveness.
9. What if Batman gets bitten for a vampire?
Read Red Rain, Bloodstorm and Crimson Mist by Doug Moench & Kelley Jones.
10. Something or someone you miss the most from childhood?
Not having self-doubt.
11. Name Three things in nature you find most beautiful.
- Mist over green fields.
- Sunlight on snow.
- The smell of woodsmoke.
- Which fictional character do you most identify with?
- If those close to you were to pick a song they associated with you, what would it be?
- Early bird or night owl?
- What do you consider your best feature?
- What’s one of your earliest memories?
- What’s the last film you saw at the cinema?
- What’s the first book you remember reading?
- What would you choose as your totem animal?
- Drink of choice?
- What would you choose as your last meal?
- And just for fun, favorite Muppet?
- T.A. Uner
- Jennifer Wells
- Dyrk Ashton
- R.B. McConnell
- Ana Spoke
- L.M. Nelson
- L.F. Oake
- Kent Wayne
- Jessica Matteliano
- C.M. Blackwood
And there you have it.
Many thanks once again to Andry for the nomination.